So I put together a list of all the things I wanted to bring with me to Singapore, at the urging of my wife. And I successfully brought:
- Both cell phones AND their chargers…
- …AND the backup battery power for the iPhone.
- Travel power adaptor and voltage transformer.
- Blood pressure testing kit
- Blood sugar testing kit
- USB bus to make up for the fact that two of the three USB jacks on my company laptop have stopped working
- My mouse AND the little thing that plugs into the USB port that I keep leaving places (but not today, bucko!).
- Various medicines.
- Sudoko to read on the plane.
- A freshly purchased My Utmost for His Highest for quiet times.
- My Singapore currency and change stash from the last trip.
- A T-shirt specially purchased for a friend here in Singapore that I think would get a kick out of it. (I tried to find a copy of Mark Steyn’s A Song for the Season for another friend that I think would really enjoy that, but that book’s out of print and no Half-Price Books in town had a copy in stock.)
- My passport and wallet and the laptop itself, all of which I am well known to be at risk of leaving home without.
- My Houston ID badge and also my Australian one, in case I get diverted to Australia before getting back home.
So all in all I was very proud of myself for having gotten everything on my list.
Then I got to the hotel in Singapore this morning and unpacked my suitcase.
And discovered I forgot to bring any pants.
There is no way on God’s green earth that Helen is ever going to trust me to pack for myself again…